The New Adventure

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Unexpected Things

I knew going into this entire process that parenting was something that had to be learned by doing. I would say that it would be impossible to teach a class on how to be a parent. For one, the class would last FOREVER and everytime you think you've got something nailed, the situation changes and you're back at square one (or zero...)

So, what did we learn today? Well, I actually had a house showing this morning at 10am. As I am getting ready to go, Lindsey expressed some concerns about McKenzie and her various "outputs" or lack thereof. So, we took her temperature and found out that she was basically a popsicle in footy pajamas (95.7 or so). So, that's not good. We bundle her up and I head out the door telling Lindsey that if push comes to shove, I'll only be 10 minutes away (more like 20, but whatever).

At the end of the showing, my mother-in-law calls and says that the pediatrician has said if her temp isn't up to 97.5 in the next hour we'll get to visit the ER. Yay! More time at the hospital.

So, what did we learn here? 
• Distances that normally take 20 minutes to cover can be done in around 10 with the proper motivation (anyone that was on 27 South around 11am this morning, I apologize) 
• The parenting books can and will lie to you
• Even a nearly full-term, non-preemie baby can have preemie like problems

So, it was too cold in our house. The books told us that as long as mom and dad are comfortable, baby will be too. Well, not when baby weighs just a bit over 5 pounds. So, a few warm blankets and some quality snuggle time and all was well.

As for Ms Molly, we haven't had an opportunity to see her yet today. The NICU has open visitation anytime night or day except for between 6 and 8 am and pm for shift changes. But, the babies are only handled or touched during "hands-on time" every 3 hours. Molly is on an 8:30, 11:30, 2:30, 5:30 schedule for hands-on time. At 11:30, we had a frozen popsicle at home we were trying to thaw out. For the 2:30 and 5:30 times, the pod she is in has been closed (another child in the unit is having a procedure done so no one is allowed to come in).

So, mom and I are slightly frustrated. But, one of the keys to the whole thing is to remain flexible. There is nothing we can change in the way the NICU runs or the needs of the other patients being met at a time that would be more convenient to us. That would kinda selfish of us. So, we're taught another lesson: this time, patience. Patience to realize that this brief moment away from our child is so tiny in the grand scheme of things even though it hurts so bad. Patience to see that we might need this time with only one child to better prepare ourselves for the onslaught of two newborns. Patience to see that Molly is as perfect as she can be so we don't have to worry and fret over her once she gets home. Patience to know that our family and our love is strong and enduring.

Labels: , ,


Blogger Unknown said...

So it sounds like your house can no longer be an igloo :) I really enjoy reading your blog since I'm not around for face to face visits and updates. Love you guys! Laura

November 23, 2008 at 11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home