The New Adventure

Friday, February 20, 2009

Molly's Update

We had our follow-up appointment yesterday with Dr. Moses regarding Molly's hip ultrasound on Monday. There have been no changes in the last 6 weeks and Dr. Moses is still unsure as to how to proceed. Since ultrasounds for breech babies is still relatively new (in the last 7-8 years or so) there isn't enough data to predict if this acetabular insufficiency is something serious or not.

We could try and treat it by putting Molly in a harness for 23 hours a day for 3 months or so. The harness would hold her legs in the correct position to her hips and hopefully keep the hip sockets aligned correctly while the bone developed. The harness would be a royal pain in the butt both for us and for her. Plus, there is no proof out there that the harness now would prevent surgery to correct the problem later.

So, we pretty much decided just to let it ride and watch how things develop over the next year or so. She'll go back in about 2 months just for a normal x-ray to see how the hip socket bones are developing and if they see any problems at that point. If that's clear and a scan at 1 year is clear, we'll be good to go. Otherwise, she'll get yearly scans until she's 13 and possibly face hip socket adjustment surgery in 3 to 5 years which the doc called more like carpentry than surgery. I didn't want any more details on that right now...

So, that's it for now. Regardless of how the hips are lining up, we shouldn't see any issues with her crawling or walking. Yay...

Labels: , ,


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home